Monday, August 12, 2013

Alima Pure Review

I am a HUGE advocate for healthy makeup. Like, HUGE. As I continue to post you will learn that Jane Iredale and Colorescience are my FAV makeup brands. Both companies are all about skin health and with the ingredients they use, it shows. The only catch is that you're paying for the value. Sure they last much longer than your drugstore or department store foundations and actually treat the skin while you wear these two brands, benefiting the skin's overall health, but sometimes it's hard to open your wallet and hand over a large amount of dough. SO, I've been on a mission to find healthy but money aware makeup.

So far, I've found Alima Pure. I ordered five foundations to find my perfect match, a lip balm and three blushes! Here's my verdict.



First up, their Satin Matte Foundation. Here's the listed ingredients:
  • titanium oxide
  • zinc oxide
  • high grade mica
  • iron oxides
That's it. All whopping four ingredients are noncomedogenic, meaning that they don't clog pores. One BIG thing to look for in foundations, blushes, bronzers and eyeshadows is Talc. Talc is a huge no-no in the aesthetic realm. The reason being, Talc is extremely drying and irritating to the skin and who wants that on their skin? Many women hate wearing powder foundation without knowing the reason WHY. It's all due to the use of Talc. What happens when a woman applies a powder foundation containing Talc is over the next 2-4 hours after application, Talc slowly absorbs moisture and oil in your skin where it then settles into the skin. Talc amplifies the look of fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores and scarring. Obviously no lovely lady wants to worsen the appearance of their skin, so many avoid Talc filled foundations. Why is Talc even used in the first place? Because Talc is a very inexpensive filler and cosmetic companies are all about making money. All it does is fills a pallet or bottle of foundation giving the buyer the illusion that they're getting a great deal. 

Okay, now that I'm done ranting over how terrible Talc is, let's get back to the main course! Did I mention that Almia Pure has this particular foundation in 61 shades? There's a shade for everyone! My favorite match out of all five foundation colors that I got was Neutral 3. The only downside to this product is that it is not a full coverage makeup. I find the coverage to be a touch more than a tinted moisturizer. Currently, I have a lovely breakout and I'll be honest, it was difficult to achieve that desired coverage that I like. Other than that, it goes on light and it stays on all day long with no need for a mid-day touch-up. For those who like a very natural look that enhances the skin you have this foundation is definitely worth a try! Sample sizes cost $1.50 USD and full size foundations cost $25.00 USD. Not too shabby!

Up next, is their Luminous Shimmer Blush in Rosa! Here's the listed ingredients:
  • Mica
  • Titanium Oxide
  • Iron Oxides
Viola! Once again, a very easy and breathable product! Sample sizes are also $1.50 USD and full size blushes cost $20.00 USD. I liked that the shimmer wasn't extremely noticeable. The last thing I want is to look like a little girl playing with makeup with some shimmer and shine overload. It's safe to say that the Luminous Shimmer Blush looks natural but highlights the cheek bones for that super smooth finish.

I also tried their Satin Matte Blush where the listed ingredients are the same as their Luminous Shimmer Blush! I tried both Desert Rose and Bisque. Both colors are extremely pigmented and are easy to apply, just matte! Costs are also the same as their Luminous Shimmer Blush.

I also received a Nourishing Lip Balm in Cranberry. Holy moly, I'm impressed. With that being said, it is packed with lip nourishing goodies. I won't bore you with their entire ingredient list but some major lovelies of this all natural product are Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Cocoa Butter, Avocado Butter and Vitamin E. All of those ingredients will give you soft kissable lips. It also contains antioxidants for the ultimate pout protection! I made the mistake thinking that I would need a few layers of this balm to give me great color and ended up with gobs of color! One quick layer does the trick and I am in love with Cranberry. It's that perfect deep red color that would compliment any skin tone. On the up side, this product only costs $7.00 USD and is worth every penny!

Also, Alima Pure's entire makeup line is:
  • Paraben Free
  • No Gluten
  • No Chemicals
  • No Nanoparticles
  • No dyes
  • No Irritants
Overall, I was pretty impressed! It's a very basic line with very basic, but healthy ingredients. Pricewise, you are paying for what you get with less coverage and zero added skin care ingredients. Alima Pure is similar in price with your local department and drugstores but they leave out unhealthy ingredients. No artificial anything, no skin irritations, no Talc and no fuss! Just pure color with pure ingredients! For those on a budget, I recommend this line with the simple fact that it much healthier than your department and drugstore makeup lines and is ultimately worth making the switch!
Today I used the Satin Matte Foundation in Neutral 3, the Satin Matte Blush in Desert Rose and the Nourishing Lip Balm in Cranberry. Here's the complete look of all three products with a little of my own mascara and eyeliner to top of the look! It's a look I'll be repeating and perfect for the upcoming fall months.




P.S. Here's a little food for thought! Did you know that if a cosmetic company to were to claim a foundation to be a "mineral foundation" the FDA only requires it to contain a six (measly) percent of actual minerals? Now sit on that for a while before you pick up a bottle of foundation that claims it's a "mineral foundation" next time you're out and about! 

No comments:

Post a Comment